DECADENT CARDAMOM AND STRAWBERRY SAGO POTS
“These little spheres of beauty and the fragrance of rosewater is synonymous with Women’s Day for me. Polkadraai Pinot Noir Rosé is a seductive salmon-coloured sparkling wine – sweet and medium bodied with strawberry flavours and a hint of candy floss. The combination of this sparkling wine and the fragrant sago pots is thus a match made in heaven for all the wonderful ladies out there. I hope you enjoy this pairing and that you feel special. You deserve it!” – Elmarie Berry of Elmarie Berry Good Food.
4 cups milk
1 cup sago
Pinch of salt
4 cardamom pods
100 ml sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons rosewater (optional)
6 strawberries – (crushed)
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups sugar
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
Drop of pink food coloring
You can use Woolworth’s marshmallow frosting.
1. Bring the milk, sago, salt, cardamom pods and sugar to the boil over low heat, stirring frequently to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
2. Simmer until the sago is cooked and transparent.
3. Remove the cardamom pods and stir in the butter, vanilla and the rosewater.
4. Divide the mixture in two. Keep half just as it is and add the strawberry pulp to the other half.
5. Pour the mixture into ramekins to make two layers.
6. Whisk all the ingredients except the food coloring until frothy.
7. In a double boiler, whisk the mixture with an electric beater for 7 minutes until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy.
8. Or You can use the marshmallow frosting of Woolworths and follow the instructions on the packet.
9. Spoon the meringue on top of the sago and garnish with fresh berries.