Braai Day Recipe: Skaapstertjies
Add a twist to your skaapstertjies with John Segole's must-try Braai Day recipe.
John Segole from Kuilsriver is a bit of a braai master amongst his peers. He writes a blog, Loadshedding My Nou, where he shares some of his yummy dishes. These skaapstertjies fall off the bone and is the perfect hearty dish for a rainy Cape Town day.
Marinade:1 kg SkaapstertjiesAromat2 shots of vinegarA bunch of coriander5-7 cloves2-3 bay leavesEnough water to cover the skaapstertjies in a potSauce:1/4 cup tomato sauce1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce1/4 cup sweet chili sauce1/4 cup soy sauce2 tbsp brown sugar1 chopped chili or 1/2 tsp smoked paprikaA few drops of fish sauce - optional
- Add all the ingredients in a potjie and pressure cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the skaapstertjies from the potjie and braai over moderate coals just to get it sticky, make sure to baste it with the sauce while cooking over the braai.
- Add your skaapstertjies to a pan and fry whilst stirring. Once warm, baste them again while you flash braai it.
- Once done add the rest of the stertjies to the rest of the warm sauce left in the pan and give it a toss.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with coriander.