Dish of the Week: Breakfast Shakshuka
We've teamed up with foodie, chef and food stylist, Bas Newman, to bring you an easy-to-make dish of the week during lockdown, check out his Breakfast Shakshuka now.
This week’s breakfast shakshuka not only looks amazing but is a one-pan wonder. We challenge you to recreate this dish and show us, by using #DishOfTheWeek. Or, show us your very own go-to quick, easy, comfort dish that you make with the ingredients available in your cupboards - let's get foodie inspired.
- 2 tsp olive oil/oil/butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green/red pepper
- 1 chopped clove garlic
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- Sugar (if needed to sweeten)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 can chakalaka (optional)
- 4 large eggs
- 200g of grated cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Toasted bread
- Add 2 tsp of oil/butter to a hot pan/skillet.
- Add 1 chopped onion and 1 chopped red/green pepper. Sauté until softened.
- Add 1 chopped garlic clove. Take care not to burn.
- Add 2 tsp tomato paste, sugar (if needed) and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika.
- Add 1 tin of baked beans and 1 tin of chakalaka. Allow to cook until slightly reduced and thickened.
- Make 4 gaps in the bean mixture and place the eggs in the gaps.
- Lower the heat and allow to simmer. Eggs are ready when they turn opaque. Take care not to overcook.
- Remove from heat and season.
- Top with grated cheese and allow to melt.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with toast.