John Segole from Kuilsriver is a bit of a braai master amongst his peers. He writes a blog, Loadshedding My Nou, where he shares some of his yummy dishes. These skaapstertjies fall off the bone and is the perfect hearty dish for a rainy Cape Town day.
1 kg Skaapstertjies
2 shots of vinegar
A bunch of coriander
2-3 bay leaves
Enough water to cover the skaapstertjies in a pot
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 chopped chili or 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
A few drops of fish sauce - optional
- Add all the ingredients in a potjie and pressure cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the skaapstertjies from the potjie and braai over moderate coals just to get it sticky, make sure to baste it with the sauce while cooking over the braai.
- Add your skaapstertjies to a pan and fry whilst stirring. Once warm, baste them again while you flash braai it.
- Once done add the rest of the stertjies to the rest of the warm sauce left in the pan and give it a toss.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and garnish with coriander.
If you still need to do you Braai Day shopping, check out this handy essentials shopping list.