Capegate is celebrating Heritage Month by calling on all aspiring braai masters to enter the CG Braai Challenge.
The top 5 finalists will braai-off at CG Braai Challenge finale, where celebrity chef and food stylist, Zola Nene, along with chef and content creator, Bas Newman, will be judging their skills and dishes.
Bas has kicked things off by sharing one of his go-to braai recipes, a Thai-Style Braaied Prawn and Rice Noodle Salad, yum! Check out his recipe below to be inspired and submit your favourite braai dish below to enter and stand a chance of winning R30 000 worth of prizes!
For Bas, it's always about bringing family and friends together around the fire, everyone has a jol and gets to share in the festivities. His role at the braai is to ensure that the cheese board is always on point (I mean, who doesn’t love a good cheeseboard?) - recently he have started looking at new recipes that don't require too much preparation, so that you have more time to spend with those you love! Also, being South African means any day and any reason is good enough to have a braai. Bas's Thai-Style Braaied Prawn and Rice Noodle Salad, was inspired by his travels to Thailand. He fell in love with the fresh flavours over there and decided to incorporate it with a truly South African pastime - a lekker braai! Enjoy!
Ingredients for the dressing:
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 handful coriander leaves
1 green finger chilli, seeded
4 tsp, ginger
2 tbsp, palm sugar
2 tbsp, fish sauce
2 limes, squeezed
1/2 cup olive oil
Ingredients for the salad:
1/2 cucumber, thinly shaved
1 spring onion, thinly sliced (placed into ice water)
1 large red chilli, thinly sliced
Mint & coriander
320g shell-on prawns
Salt & pepper, to season
Limes, to garnish
- Blend all the ingredients for the dressing together in a blender. If you don’t have a blender then chop everything finely and mix together.
- Toss the prawns into the dressing and allow to marinade for 30 minutes to allow flavours to infuse.
- On a hot braai, cook until just cooked through, do not over cook prawns, set aside.
- Combine everything but the noodles, together for the salad and toss together gently.
- To plate, serve some of the cooked noodles onto a platter and gently toss through the salad, top with prawns and serve with fresh lime wedges.
- Season and enjoy.
What's your famous braai recipe?