Capegate celebrated Heritage Day early, by calling on all aspiring braai masters to enter the CG Braai Challenge.
Our top 5 finalists battled it out at our onsite braai challenge where celebrity chef and food stylist, Zola Nene, along with chef and content creator, Bas Newman, used their industry knowledge and skills to pick out our CG Braai Challenge winner for 2021!
Coming in at 3rd place, Marilyn Davids served our judges with this delicious meat duo taste sensation: Sirloin Steak with Mint Coriander Chilli Chutney and Pineapple Glazed, BBQ Sticky Wings.
Check out her recipe below, served with freshly made naan bread. Yes, please!
- Steak of your choice
- Keep steak at room temperature for even cook
- Season well and braai as desired, preferable medium and has a nice brown seared
- Make sure to rest steaks before slicing in thin strips
- 8 winglets
- Smoked paprika
- Garlic powder
- Lemon juice
- Season wings well
- Set aside for at least 1 hour
- Braai over hot coals
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 ½ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 1 tsp salt ½ cup yogurt ½ cup milk
- Place all dry ingredients into bowl, add yoghurt and milk and mix to a smooth bowl.
- Cover and rest for 15 minutes.
- Flour flat surface and roll out.
- Fry over coals until it starts to bubble each side and brush with melted ghee or butter.
- 1 Pineapple
- 1/4 red onion thinly sliced
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- Juice and zest of one lemon
Mint Coriander Chilli Chutney
- 1\4 cup mint leaves
- 1\4 cup coriander leaves
- 3 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- Juice of lemon
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- Saute, red and green pepper in separate pan add dash of garlic.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- Sticky braai sauce Soya sauce
- Sriracha sauce
- Add all ingredients in sauce pan and cook for 10 minutes. Baste wings with sauce and braai for extra few minutes.
Place your steak slices on freshly braaied naan bread, drizzled with mint coriander chilli chutney and a serving of pineapple glazed sticky BBQ wings, yum!
A huge thank you to all our sponsors for our smokin' hot prizes, all to the value of R 30 000!