Capegate is celebrating Heritage Month by calling on all aspiring braai masters to enter the CG Braai Challenge.
The top 5 finalists will braai-off at CG Braai Challenge finale, where celebrity chef and food stylist, Zola Nene, along with chef and content creator, Bas Newman, will be judging their skills and dishes.
Zola has shared one of her favs to inspire us a little bit, Bobotie Mince Kebabs with Pomegranate & Almond Rice Salad. Yum! Check out her recipe below to be inspired and submit your favourite braai dish below to enter and stand a chance of winning R30 000 worth of prizes!
A delicious tropical mix of chicken and bobotie kebabs served with Pomegranate & Almond Rice Salad by Zola Nene.
Chicken & Apricot kebabs
6 wooden sosatie sticks
1 Tbs Zola’s Feasts Flavourbomb Spice Mix
1/2 cup fruit chutney
Chopped chilli, to taste
Salt and pepper
4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
18 Turkish dried apricots
- Soak the sosatie sticks in water for 10 minutes.
- Mix together spice, chutney, chilli, salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and mix well to combine.
- Skewer the chicken onto sticks, alternating with the apricots.
- You can leave the sosaties to marinate overnight at this stage if you wish.
- Cook the sosaties on the Braai or on a griddle pan until golden and the chicken is cooked through.
¼ cup breadcrumbs
4 Tbs milk
500g beef mince meat
½ onion, grated
1 egg, beaten
3 Tbs sultanas, chopped
4 Tbs chopped coriander
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp ground ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
8 wooden skewers, soaked in water
- Pour the milk onto the breadcrumbs and set aside to soak for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the mince, onion, egg, sultanas, fresh coriander, garlic, turmeric, ground coriander, ginger, salt, pepper and the soaked breadcrumbs and use your hands to combine the mixture
- Form into 8 equal balls, then press into each ball onto a skewer to form a kebab.
- Refrigerate the kebabs for at least 30 minutes.
- Drizzle kebabs with oil, then cook in a hot griddle pan or on the braai until browned on all sides…you can also cook them in the oven under a hot grill.
For the Rice salad
3 cups cooked rice
½ English cucumber, deseeded and diced
½ cup pomegranate rubies
100g feta, crumbled
100g toasted flaked almonds
For the dressing:
Juice of 1 orange
2 Tbs honey
½ tsp ground turmeric
1 Tbs white wine vinegar
90ml olive oil
2 Tbs chopped mint
- In a bowl, toss together rice, cucumber, pomegranate, feta and almonds.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients then pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss well to dress.
What's your famous braai recipe?